How does your asphalt shingle roofing system ages?
Your roof is one of the vital parts of your home. The roof is out there every day protecting your home, your family, your belongings and you from various weather elements such as heat, snow, ice, rain, cold, sun, wind, and hail . Being constantly exposed to those elements will lead to problems with your roofing system.
If your roofing systems begin failing it is probably caused by some of the following things:
- Snow and rain – Water, moisture, and humidity are enemies to your roof. Moisture can generate mold, mildew, dry rot, destroy your attic insulation ad damage your entire roofing support structure.
- Sun – UV rays are harmful to your roofing system. Combine that with heat and you get a recipe for a slow destruction of your roofing system.
- Hail – Hail will most certainly damage your roofing material by leaving small dents, small cracks and it will dislodge protective mineral granules which are protecting your home from harmful UV rays, and they help to roof material to shed the water
- Wind – High winds can curl, pull and lift shingles from the roofing system. It can leave your roof exposed by opening the way to underlayment which can cause significant damage to your roofing support structure and even lead to leaks.
- Lichen – Algae and moss can lead to dry rot, and it can damage your roofing support structure, and it can leave spots on your roof discolored.
- Trees – Tree branches hanging over your roof can damage your roofing material during the event of high winds. Also, small debris and leaves can clog your downspouts and gutters.
Standard asphalt shingles which are one of the most used roofing materials in the United States is expected to last up to 30 years if properly maintained. Also, quality of material being used for asphalt shingles plays a significant role. If you want your roofing system to last to its full potential, then you need to schedule annual roofing system and gutters inspections. Regular inspections and maintenance can uncover visible and hidden damage. Your roofing system might be leaking as you read this and yu wouldn’t know until it’s too late. It is recommendable that you only allow a professional roofing contractor to climb on your roof. Because of that, it is vital that you hire a trusted and reliable roofing contractor to perform inspection and maintenance. Your roofing contractor will let you know if there are any problems with your roofing system and he will be able to tell you which steps should be taken so that your roof can live up to your expectations. If there are problems uncovered, you should be glad that your contractor caught them early before they became expensive and complicated to repair. If your roofing system is 15 years old or even older, you should consider contacting your roofing contractor and have your roof inspected every year. So, hat would be it. Now you know what happens with your shingle roofing system over time. And remember, if your roof is 15 years old, you should contact your reliable roofing contractor Arizona Roofing Systems Inc. located in Mesa, AZ and schedule first roof inspection.
Contact us Arizona Roofing Systems Inc.
935 E. Sorenson
Mesa, AZ 85203
Phone: (480) 218-8888
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7AM-5PM
Payment: All Major Credit Cards and Checks
You can also contact us on social pages: