Arizona Roofing Systems, shingle roofing systems in Mesa, AZ
Tips& info about shingle roofs from Sonny the cow!
Shingle roofs are probably the most common because of reliability and low cost. But there are a few things that you should know about your shingle roof!
- There are different types of shingle roofs, mainly traditional three-tab and dimensional
- Three-tab shingles refer to the shingle having only one layer and no dimension
- Dimensional shingles have layers (sometimes multiple layers) and give a richer look
- Valleys, penetrations and AC units on the roof are the most susceptible areas for a leak to occur
- Most dimensional shingles come with a lifetime warranty (to be honest, they will last from 20-25 years in Arizona)
- There is very little maintenance that needs to be done over the lifetime of the roof
- The only maintenance that will eventually need to be done is sealing around roof penetrations
- The lighter the color of the shingle, the more energy efficient it will be
- Your roof should be cleaned before and after monsoon season, especially if you have trees of any kind where debris can cause blockages in the way water drains
- If shingles have been blown off during a storm, they need to be replaced ASAP!
- When replacing missing or broken shingles, the color match will be very close but a 100% match is not very likely
- Be sure to hire a professional who is licensed, bonded, and insured to protect yourself
When installing new shingles, we first tear off and dispose of the old roof down to the substrate. We then install new underlayment, new drip edge, new roof penetrations, starter shingles and then we install the new shingles that have been picked out by the homeowner. In most cases a shingle roof shouldn’t take longer than 3 to 5 days to complete.