Arizona Roofing Systems, modified bitumen roofing system in Mesa, AZ
Tips& info about Modified Bitumen roofs from Sonny the cow!
Modified Bitumen (Mod Bit) is a good choice for flat roofs that has been tested over time. But there are a few things that you should know about your Foam roof!
- Mod Bit is a trusted system that has been used for a very long time (Bitumen, which is basically roofing asphalt, has been used for over 100 years and Mod Bit is used since the early 70’s)
- It is normally applied with a torch, melting the asphalt and adhering it to the underlayment
- The edges overlap and ensure that the water does not get
- Mod Bit can be coated with Elastomeric coating to extend the life of the roof system
- The asphalt products in the Mod Bit are mainly what keep it waterproof
- The cap sheet can come in a variety of granule colors or be a black smooth finish
- Life expectancy can vary anywhere from 12 to 20 years
- The system, when applied by torch, is literally melted together
- Usually, problems that arise are easily identifiable on a Mod Bit roof system
- Penetrations, seams and AC units on the roof are the most susceptible areas for a leak to occur
- Your roof should be cleaned before and after monsoon season, especially if you have trees of any kind where debris can cause blockages in the way water drains
- Be sure to hire a professional who is licensed, bonded, and insured to protect yourself
Before installing, we tear off and dispose of the previous roof. We then inspect the substrate and replace wood as needed. After that, we lay down a glass base sheet and secure with metal cap nails. Following the underlayment, we then roll out the cap sheet while heating it with the torch and applying it roll by roll, overlapping each edge of the previous roll. Clean up and touch up work is completed to ensure a clean job!